|Portrayed by||Elizabeth Mitchell|
|“||"It's my fault, dad. The bombs. I broke everything."||”|
Rachel and Ben allowed Charlie to eat all the ice cream she wanted as there was no longer any way to preserve it.
Seven years after the Blackout, Rachel turned herself in as a prisoner to her brother-in-law, Miles, who was at that time Commanding General of the Militia and second to Bass Monroe. Four years after that, she was confined to a storeroom under Independence Hall as punishment for her slow progress at getting the power back on. It is unknown why she surrendered at this time. After that she stayed and was Sebastian's prisoner for the next eight years.
She was thought to have been dead after she left in 2019 by Charlie, Danny, Miles, Aaron and many others. Ben told Charlie that she would end up dead like her if she ever decides to go out beyond their community.
For approximately eight years, Rachel is kept prisoner of the Monroe Republic being held personally by Bass Monroe in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. She is told by Bass that Ben is dead, though she doesn't believe him. She asks if he did it, he replies with an apology, saying he didn't want to kill him. Bass also says that he has her son, which shocks her. He demands to know what Ben was working on (a conversation it seems they have had countless times over the years), to which she denies knowing anything about. Monroe has Rachel tortured for the information but she won't talk.
In flashbacks Rachel's pregnancy with Danny is jeopardized and his life is in danger. It is shown that Rachel and Ben both worked for a company in an effort to create clean energy but an unexpected by-product was a device that took away power. At first Rachel and Ben want nothing to do with it but when offered access to experimental pre-natal treatment to save Danny they agree to continue work on the project.
Monroe's threats against Danny prompt Rachel to tell Monroe about the limitations of The Pendant and that it requires an amplifier to run equipment. He demands she build one. When Monroe suspects Rachel of foul play and it is revealed that she is really building a bomb to kill him he declares that Danny and her "are dead". With tears and remorse, desperate to save Danny, she kills the only other person who can build the amplifier, thus ensuring Monroe keep Danny alive to use as leverage against her.
Rachel and Charlie are reunited and Rachel is impressed with how mature Charlie has become. Monroe, frustrated with Rachel, orders one of the children killed at which point she finally gives in and agrees to make a real amplifier. She finishes the amplifier. When Strausser, the man who tortured her and repeatedly threatened the kids' lives, starts touching her with intent to rape her, she is able to kill him saying "that's for what you did to me you sick bastard." Upon seeing Miles again Rachel slaps him hard in the face for leaving her a prisoner. With Miles' help she and the kids are able to escape the power plant where they were being held.
After they escape they go back to Independence Hall, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania where once again they were attacked by Monroe's Militia.
Rachel Miles and the others run from Monroes Helicopters they later manage to hide from the copter by hiding in an abandoned diner.
Later she and Miles head over to John Sanborn's house where there is weapons to destroy the Helicopter's that are attacking the Rebels. John tells Rachel that Randall Flynn got to him and proceeds to knock them consciously out
Rachel and Miles wake up tied up and Miles is able to beat John and take the weapons and leave his house
Miles and Rachel arrive at the Rebel base with the weapons and the rebels are battling the copters a bomb explodes on Miles and knocked out Rachel rushes to him to see if he aright just the Danny sacrifices himself and grabs the missile launcher and shoots one of the helicopters down but the second one fires wildly and hits Danny in the abdomen several times and falls to the ground.
later Rachel cuts open Danny's body to reveal a pill shaped with a blue flashing light she then gives Danny one last kiss.
On their way to the Tower, Rachel and Aaron try to bargain with a man for food. When he refuses, they steal it and are later caught by him. He tells them there is only one punishment for any crime, death, and he aims his gun at them but before he can pull the trigger, Rachel pulls out a gun and kills him. They leave before anyone else can get to them. On the run from the people trying to catch them, Rachel takes a wrong step while they are being chased and tumbles down a hill, causing her to break her leg badly. She and Aaron make it to a truck where they take shelter for a while. The men from the town eventually find them, but Rachel and Aaron manage to kill them.
Later, Rachel instructs Aaron how to fix her leg with the help of the blue capsule she removed from her sons stomach and much to Aaron's surprise, her leg heals like the accident never happened.
Rachel and Aaron have made it to the Tower. However Monroe and his team got there first.
Monroe and his men are camping in the woods, while Rachel plan's later that night she will go to Monroe and kill him, then she and Aaron will make a run for it.
Rachel decides to take out Monroe herself with a grenade to allow Aaron to get inside the Tower, however her plan fails when she is captured. Monroe has Rachel use her hand to open the Tower doors, despite Randall telling him that she does not have clearance. The doors open and they talk the elevator down to level 11 where they are attacked by the dwellers inside. Rachel makes it inside a secret bunker and tries to shut the door but Monroe gets in with her. After she witnesses Charlie and the others inside the Tower on security monitors she goes to help them from being killed.
Rachel, Charlie and Aaron are captured by those inside and Rachel is surprised to learn that Dan Jenkins, a former colleague, leads those inside and have no intention of turning the power back on. Rachel tries to convince Grace to help her but when she declines Rachel knocks her out and the group makes their way to level 12. When taking out the guards, Nora Clayton is injured and Charlie wants to take her to the infirmary but Rachel tells her that there is no time. She and Aaron go on ahead and make it to the control systems for the Tower. With Rachel's guidance Aaron deactivates the nanites and gets the power back on. When Randall comes along and uses the systems to launch nuclear missiles, Rachel begs him to stop, however he shoots himself dead as the missiles move to their destinations.
Add more story in Season 2
Morality and WisdomEdit
Rachel is a caring person when it comes to those that she cares about willing to kill those who threaten her family or friends. She was depressed to learn that her work led to the death of so many innocent people but is willing to let others die if it will prevent her from helping those she loves. Rachel is very focused on whatever task she is set about to do. (The Stand, Ghosts, Children of Men, The Love Boat, Nobody's Fault But Mine, The Dark Tower)
Abilities and SkillsEdit
Rachel is very intelligent and highly skilled in science and technology. She has knowledge of physics and energy technology and was behind some of the most advanced computer and robotics technology in the world. She also has some skills in building technology and machinery.
- Ben Matheson - Rachel's husband. Rachel cheated on Ben only once in their relationship; that was with Ben's brother, Miles Matheson. Together, she and Ben were team leaders on a government D.O.D. project that lead to the Black Out. Ben believed that his wife, Rachel was dead after she left her family to join Miles to protect her family. Rachel was very upset to hear of Ben's death.
- Miles Matheson - Rachel's brother-in-law. She and Miles had an affair, but it quickly ended. After the Black Out, Miles ordered Ben to help him turn the power back on, but Rachel came in his place. Despite their previous romance, Miles held Rachel hostage and it is hinted that Miles tortured her. Miles had no idea that Rachel was still alive after he left the Monroe Militia. They reconciled after sharing a passionate kiss before Rachel left to go turn the power back on.
- Sebastian Monroe - Bass claims that he and Rachel used to be friends. For four years, Monroe kept Rachel hostage; upgrading her from a dank prison to luxury rooms. Monroe allowed Strausser to question to no avail. Only when Monroe brought Danny Matheson, Rachel's son to Philadelphia that Rachel told him about the pendants and built him an amplifier. Rachel blames Monroe for Ben and Danny's death.
- Charlie Matheson - Rachel's daughter. Rachel and Charlie have a very complicated relationship. When Charlie was younger the two were of course very close. Charlie was clearly devastated when her mother left crying for her as she was walking away which mad Rachel cry, but she still left never returning making Charlie and the rest of the family think she was dead. Later when Charlie reunited with her mom, she is shocked and angry at her mom because she left her and Danny. When Danny dies Charlie is still resentful of her mom, until one night when Charlie confides in her mother how much she's hurting that "she'll never see Danny again." She starts crying and Charlie runs over to her mother and hugs her, shocking Rachel but of course making her happy. When Rachel leaves Nora to die in order to turn the power back on Charlie gets mad at her and she leaves the group, coming back months later with Sebastian Monroe to save her mother from patriots. After some time they become close again with Charlie comforting Rachel hugging her when Rachel finds out her dad's a spy, and in the mid season finale when the two say "I love you" to each other.
- The role was originally played by Andrea Roth in "Pilot", though it was later recast on June 30, 2012. Mitchell and Roth both appeared in the Lost episode "The Other Woman," in which Mitchell's character was having an affair with Roth's husband.