|Portrayed by||Elizabeth Mitchell|
|“||"It's my fault, dad. The bombs. I broke everything."||”|
Rachel and Ben allowed Charlie to eat all the ice cream she wanted as there was no longer any way to preserve it.
Seven years after the Blackout, Rachel turned herself in as a prisoner to her brother-in-law, Miles, who was at that time Commanding General of the Militia and second to Bass Monroe. Four years after that, she was confined to a storeroom under Independence Hall as punishment for her slow progress at getting the power back on. It is unknown why she surrendered at this time. After that she stayed and was Sebastian's prisoner for the next eight years.
She was thought to have been dead after she left in 2019 by Charlie, Danny, Miles, Aaron and many others. Ben told Charlie that she would end up dead like her if she ever decides to go out beyond their community.
For approximately eight years, Rachel is kept prisoner of the Monroe Republic being held personally by Bass Monroe in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. She is told by Bass that Ben is dead, though she doesn't believe him. She asks if he did it, he replies with an apology, saying he didn't want to kill him. Bass also says that he has her son, which shocks her. He demands to know what Ben was working on (a conversation it seems they have had countless times over the years), to which she denies knowing anything about. Monroe has Rachel tortured for the information but she won't talk.
In flashbacks Rachel's pregnancy with Danny is jeopardized and his life is in danger. It is shown that Rachel and Ben both worked for a company in an effort to create clean energy but an unexpected by-product was a device that took away power. At first Rachel and Ben want nothing to do with it but when offered access to experimental pre-natal treatment to save Danny they agree to continue work on the project.
Monroe's threats against Danny prompt Rachel to tell Monroe about the limitations of The Pendant and that it requires an amplifier to run equipment. He demands she build one. When Monroe suspects Rachel of foul play and it is revealed that she is really building a bomb to kill him he declares that Danny and her "are dead". With tears and remorse, desperate to save Danny, she kills the only other person who can build the amplifier, thus ensuring Monroe keep Danny alive to use as leverage against her.
Rachel and Charlie are reunited and Rachel is impressed with how mature Charlie has become. Monroe, frustrated with Rachel, orders one of the children killed at which point she finally gives in and agrees to make a real amplifier. She finishes the amplifier. When Strausser, the man who tortured her and repeatedly threatened the kids' lives, starts touching her with intent to rape her, she is able to kill him saying "that's for what you did to me you sick bastard." Upon seeing Miles again Rachel slaps him hard in the face for leaving her a prisoner. With Miles' help she and the kids are able to escape the power plant where they were being held.
After they escape they go back to Independence Hall, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania where once again they were attacked by Monroe's Militia.
Rachel Miles and the others run from Monroes Helicopters they later manage to hide from the copter by hiding in an abandoned dinner
Later she and Miles head over to John Sanborn's house where there is weapons to destroy the Helicopter's that are attacking the Rebels. John tells Rachel that Randall Flynn got to him and proceeds to knock them consciously out
Rachel and Miles wake up tied up and Miles is able to beat John and take the weapons and leave his house
Miles and Rachel arrive at the Rebel base with the weapons and the rebels are battling the copters a bomb explodes on Miles and knocked out Rachel rushes to him to see if he aright just the Danny sacrifices himself and grabs the missile launcher and shoots one of the helicopters down but the second one fires wildly and hits Danny in the abdomen several times and falls to the ground. this worsens the relationship between Rachel and Charlie.
later Rachel cuts open Danny's body to reveal a pill shaped with a blue flashing light she then gives Danny on last kiss.
After Danny's death it is clear that Charlie can no longer trust her Mother.
On their way to the Tower, Rachel and Aaron try to bargain with a man for food. When he refuses, they steal it and are later caught by him. He tells them there is only one punishment for any crime, death, and he aims his gun at them but before he can pull the trigger, Rachel pulls out a gun and kills him. They leave before anyone else can get to them. On the run from the people trying to catch them, Rachel takes a wrong step while they are being chased and tumbles down a hill, causing her to break her leg badly. She and Aaron make it to a truck where they take shelter for a while. The men from the town eventually find them, but Rachel and Aaron manage to kill them.
Later, Rachel instructs Aaron how to fix her leg with the help of the blue capsule she removed from her sons stomach and much to Aaron's surprise, her leg heals like the accident never happened.
Rachel and Aaron have made it to the Tower. However Monroe and his team got there first.
Monroe and his men are camping in the woods, while Rachel plan's later that night she will go to Monroe and kill him, then she and Aaron will make a run for it.
- Ben Matheson - Rachel's husband. Rachel cheated on Ben only once in their relationship; that was with Ben's brother, Miles Matheson. Together, she and Ben were team leaders on a government D.O.D. project that lead to the Black Out. Ben believed that his wife, Rachel was dead after she left her family to join Miles to protect her family. Rachel was very upset to hear of Ben's death.
- Miles Matheson - Rachel's brother-in-law. She and Miles had an affair, but it quickly ended. After the Black Out, Miles ordered Ben to help him turn the power back on, but Rachel came in his place. Despite their previous romance, Miles held Rachel hostage and it is hinted that Miles tortured her. Miles had no idea that Rachel was still alive after he left the Monroe Militia. They reconciled after sharing a passionate kiss before Rachel left to go turn the power back on.
- Sebastian Monroe - Bass claims that he and Rachel used to be friends. For four years, Monroe kept Rachel hostage; upgrading her from a dank prison to luxury rooms. Monroe allowed Strausser to question to no avail. Only when Monroe brought Danny Matheson, Rachel's son to Philadelphia that Rachel told him about the pendants and built him an amplifier. Rachel blames Monroe for Ben and Danny's death.
- The role was originally played by Andrea Roth in "Pilot", though it was later recast on June 30, 2012. Mitchell and Roth both appeared in the Lost episode "The Other Woman," in which Mitchell's character was having an affair with Roth's husband.
- She states that while Ben never was interested in turning the power back on, she is—but she is not doing it to help people; she is doing it so that the other republics can crush Monroe and provide her with some measure of revenge for Ben and Danny's deaths